Special Educational Needs & Disabilities
The Chulmleigh Academy Trust ethos is based on an overarching theme of inclusion; welcoming, encouraging and enabling all to achieve their best whatever the challenges and starting point may be.
As a Trust we:
- Identify children with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) and ensure provision is made in accordance with the SEND Code of Practice
- Have an appointed SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) to oversee the provision across the Trust
- Invest in Trust-wide targeted training for staff
- Ensure that teaching is inclusive and support practices are embedded throughout the trust
- Ensure that ALL teachers understand that they are teachers of SEND
- Plan for transitions across all Key Stages
We do our very best to ensure that all pupils feel comfortable, confident and challenged whilst studying with us. For pupils with Special Educational Needs we know that this sometimes means taking a different approach. Our staff are all fully trained, and have regular updated training on working with SEND pupils to help them feel safe, happy and to be successful in their education.
Our Commitment to Equality
Equality and inclusion are at the heart of Chulmleigh Academy Trust. We have a passion to include everyone, and a deep desire to treat everyone equally. We accept others for who they are and respect differences.
As an Academy Trust we aim to ensure that all pupils can achieve their full potential. If a pupil has Special Educational Needs or Disability needs (SEND), the Trust will take every reasonable step to identify and meet them. Further information on the provision of SEND at each of our schools can be found on the relevant school's website. Pupils with SEND who do not have Educational Health Care Plans (EHCP) will be admitted on an equal basis with others, in accordance with the College’s admissions policy.
Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s Special Educational Need?
Our Academy SENDCo is Miss Kelly Dighton and she is based at Chulmleigh College. You can contact her either via the College postal address or by telephone or email.
Tel: 01769 580 215 Email: CCC_sen@chulmleigh.devon.sch.uk
She is available to talk to about any issues you may have regarding the care and education of your child, including whether they may have a special education need, whether their needs are being met or anything in their learning plans.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch.